Thursday 17 April 2008

London Book Show


Hi folks -
A few days' gap since the last posting, because I have been to London to see the books. Quite an adventure for me because I haven't been to the big city since last year, when I had THAT accident (fell and proke my hip). So I feel great now I've got there and back again without falling down again!

The LBS is always exciting - just like the Boat Show or the Ideal Home Exhibition, but it's all books - you'd never believe how many books - and full of people trying to sell books they are writing or publishing. Each one of them hoping that they have got that special MS in their briefcase or that the next Harry Potter is just round the corner.

I think that this year's show was a bit sluggish compared with last year, partly because the next HP was not in evidence, partly because there were whole stands devoted to the cooking craze, which doesn't excite me at all. A big emphasis on Arabic literature looked interesting but lacked any wholehearted sense of direction. What were they trying to tell us about their wares? That there was plenty of work in future years for translators?

Anyway, amongst all the hype about thousands of books I managed to get a teeny bit of exposure for my book, CANDY'S CHILDREN, and the find out how to go about selling foreign rights - I'll have a go next year.

www.londonbookfair.co.uk

www.thebookseller.com

No comments: