Monday 25 August 2008

Selling books

I have just spent a day at our local craft fair sitting behind a table laden with my books (past and present)trying to publicise myself and sell books in one fell swoop. Did I succeed? Well,considering that Exmouth is a "bucket and spade" resort and it was August Bank Holiday Sunday, I think managed bit of both. I sold 4 books and sent people off with my business cards and leaflets, and managed to complete the Observer crossword. I also gathered lots of ideas for when I repeat the process closer to Christmas - "A BOOK MAKES A FANTASTIC CHRISTMAS PRESENT" (and is cheaper than many gifts you might buy) The day wasn't wasted because I had plenty of time for people watching (Oh, go on, Buy the kid something to take home - you've just forked out for that useless table decoration!) The whole scene made me think about what people do fall for as far as impulse buying is concerned and I suddenly realised, watching a nearby jewellery stall very closely, that publishers are right when they insist on dayglo backgrounds with bling effect trimmings. And having watched the rapid sale of fluffy bunnies (stuffed, not real) from another stall I am very tempted...has anyone done a furry book jacket yet?

No comments: