Sunday 26 April 2009

Getting serious at the London book fair

I visited the London book fair for 2 days at the beginning of the week. It is the third time I've been there and so far the most interesting and profitable - mainly, I think, because at last I have realised how to use the event as a networking tool, and also because I took the photograph of Tyfoon which I am using as a cover illustration and found that the distributors, advertisers etc nearly bit my hand off when they saw it (even though it wasn't a furry cover - yet!). I've already had a stream of advance orders since I got home. I have to say that I was exhausted by the trip and have spent all the rest of the week recovering from the aches and pains brought on by trying to ignore the Parkinson's. For every high there is a low, but I'm not sure why that has to be. Anyway, hooray for the book fair! Hooray for Tyfoon - I shall have to get the dedicated Blog under way now. And, of course, begin a new book.

2 comments:

French Leave said...

Hello Sylvia, I'm sorry for your aches and pains, although it sounds like the two days were worth the effort. You're amazing.
Is it possible a memoir might be forthcoming? You have a wonderfully rich life for that. Of course, I love Candy's Children, and so enjoyed reading Crocodiles. And I like your poetry. Take care of you. Much thanks for sharing here.

French Leave said...

Hi Sylvia, Much thanks for your message.
I was busy attending writing seminars in Oxford. Then went to Norfolk for a holiday. The weather there was superb. My location was in Cley-next-the-sea. I hired a lovely cottage with a secluded garden.

I never rated The White Tiger. I couldn't get into it either. WS, I used to love his novels. The more recent ones never grabbed me.

How did the launch for Tyfoon's tale go?

Cheers, Sarah