Friday 17 April 2009

Short stories

I have been filling in a time gap between two books, writing short stories. One of my friends says she never knew I wrote short stories - what has she missed! The first ever published was back in 1979 in a literary magazine called "Jennings", which no longer exists. I fished out a copy the other day to fuel my imagination, because there is nothing like a bit of self-plagiarism when the juices dry up, and by the time I'd got to the end I realised it couldn't be better written - my response was "What a Bloody clever story!" It's called "The man who loved his trumpet" if ever you get the chance to find it. To leap forward thirty years, "The Tide is a Little Late Today" will be out early in June in the My Weekly Summer Special. There have been quite a few others in between - one I particularly like is "The Stray" which was published in Your Cat a few years ago, (the Stray in the story being a homeless child). What's happening to the dozen I've submitted during the past fortnight, remains to be seen. It's a great life, isn't it. Keep writing.

No comments: